We received a pleasant surprise in the form of an email sent by Joyce Wilson. She offered to write a piece for us on our site sharing that her motivation comes from a belief that she can “help save the Great Outdoors while also helping local economies recover.”
There is a growing trend of digital volunteerism emerging and in many ways, Joyce is a living example of the movement in action. Community led groups may want to consider folks outside of their area when thinking about volunteer opportunities. We’re just now learning how to do this ourselves. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have someone like Joyce reach out unprompted saying they want to help! We hope you find her contribution meaningful and helpful.
And now without further ado – we present to you, Joyce’s article.
9 Ways to Make a Difference in Your Community
Our local communities have a profound impact on our well-being. When the community thrives, we thrive, so it goes without saying that supporting your local community is in your best interest. There are countless ways to get involved, whether it’s volunteering at a local charity, supporting a favorite small business, or making a donation to Arizona nonprofit Regenerating Sonora. If you want to have a positive impact on your community, keep reading!
Launch Your Own Nonprofit
Have you always wanted to run a business? If you would like to use your entrepreneurial mind to make a difference in the world, consider launching your own nonprofit!
- The most common types of nonprofits are charitable organizations, social welfare organizations, and social advocacy groups.
- Research the requirements around forming a nonprofit in your state and review your business formation options.
- If you decide to form an LLC, read up on the process and consider filing your paperwork online.
Volunteer or Donate
Whether you want to volunteer or make a donation, you’ll find several opportunities across Arizona.
- Make a donation to Regenerating Sonora to support community development in Superior, Arizona.
- Volunteer at a local organization like the Arizona Humane Society, St. Mary’s Food Bank, or Habitat for Humanity in Phoenix.
- Donate used clothing, furniture, toys, and books to local charities across Arizona.
Support Local Businesses
Small businesses are the lifeblood of every community. Help strengthen your local economy by supporting small businesses in any way you can.
- Try to find what you need from a local business before heading to a big-box store or ordering from Amazon.
- When you find a local business you love, leave a positive online review on their website, Facebook page, and Google maps.
- Spread the word about your favorite small businesses on social media.
Are you ready to plug in and help your community members? Even the smallest actions can make a difference! Donate to a local food bank, volunteer your time at an animal shelter, or shop at a local business. Make it a habit to get involved in your community and encourage your friends and family to step up and do their part as well. Few things are more rewarding than supporting your neighbors!